Thursday, September 24, 2015

End of week 5 post surgery

The first four weeks after surgery went so well that this week kind of surprised me.  The beginning of the week my foot was hurting the worst it had since the stitches came out.  Had trouble getting into the shoes that were not a problem last week. The incision looked red and puffy and more noticeable.  Hmm. What was up with that?   The colder weather perhaps?

But then the last two days of the week my foot felt much better.  I discovered that my hiking shoes are pretty cushy and yet have a fairly flexible sole.  The extra bottom padding  seemed to really help on my longer walks and enabled me to roll through my step bending and stretching my toe as I walked.  My  3 mile walk was much better in these.  My gait was fine and was able to get my pace up considerably.  Yesterday was even able to do a short sprint.

Have been religious about doing my stretching exercises. Also have been massaging my foot with vitamin E oil.  Don't know if it really helps but it sure feels good.

So as of tonight, good progress.  But lesson of this week is that this is very much an up and down process.


No comments:

Post a Comment