Friday, October 2, 2015

End of week 6 post surgery

More progress this week.  I'm pretty much now able to wear all the shoes I was wearing pre-surgery.  Can't say I could walk distances in all of them but they do comfortably go on my feet which is an improvement from last week.

Continuing with my 3 mile daily walks.  I'm usually a little stiff when I start and sometimes get the little "electrical jolt jab" on the bottom of the joint but both generally go away after about 20 minutes of mindful walking making sure I roll my foot straight through the step.

I've also had hours where I've been moving around or walking where I don't even think about my foot.  So that makes me optimistic.

Have been religiously doing the toe exercises twice a day (sometimes only a few hours apart in the evening but I'm determined to get both sets in.)  Have been using a first aide cream with comfrey in it as well as a comfrey oil that my yoga teacher mixed up and who everyone in class raves about.  She says comfrey promotes healing.  I figure it can't hurt.

The scar occasionally looks a little puffy and red.  Not sure what that's all about.  It doesn't really present a problem but just looks more visible at times.
 
Have not yet tried downward dog in yoga although have been doing some things that require getting up on my toes a bit.  Have been practicing getting up on my toes while holding on to a chair. When I feel I can do that without noticeable pain, will try downward dog again.  (I probably could do it, just a little scared to try.)

At 6 weeks out, I'd say I'm back to 97% function with a little discomfort.  I definitely have more toe movement and haven't noticed the burning sensation I used to get when I'd walk. My toe doesn't bend 90 degrees but it's pretty close to my right toe which I've never had a problem with.  Very satisfied with how things are progressing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi.
    It's been two years since your operation.have is your big toe?no another spurs or hallux rigidus seen?it's been six weeks since my operations and no progress regarding more dorsiflexion seen in my case.also feeling frustrated about the possibility of another or other treatment (more aggresive)to solve my problem.best regards.tina

    ReplyDelete