Sunday, September 6, 2015

Day 16--Ups and Downs

I may have overdone it yesterday.  My foot was fine during the night but once I got up was definitely not as flexible as yesterday.  It was cold and rainy this morning so that might have had something to do with it.  I've been in my fitflops all morning since the top of my foot was feeling tender and I wasn't in the mood for something pushing on it.

I've noticed that I'm getting a lot of snapping in my joint as I do my exercises.  Especially when I switch from pulling up to pushing down.  At first my toe didn't want to go down at all but with just a little pressure, I felt a snap and then it moved.  The snapping isn't so much painful as it is a little disconcerting.  I suppose that's all part of the recovery but I'll write to the doctor tomorrow night (tomorrow's a holiday) just to check and be sure.  He told me when he took the bandages off to keep it moving and that there was nothing I could do to hurt it but I still tend to associate pain and snapping with something destructive.

The new waterproof flexible tape I had put on two days ago to keep the steri strips from peeling off starting peeling off last night after my shower.  It was quite loose on the ends this morning so decided to peel it off so it doesn't stick to shoe or sock.  I may try putting more steri strips over the edges and see if that helps or just let them go as is and hope they stay on until Tuesday.  They said if they came off, I could replace with a large bandage or gauze and paper tape.  But those would add a lot more bulk and make getting in a shoe even harder. (I ended up replacing the waterproof stretchy tape with longer steri strips that I wrapped under my foot to get more grip.)

I can tell this is going to be an up and down process.  I went to head out to the mall with my husband and slipped on the New Balance shoes which were so comfy yesterday.  I took 3 steps and knew today wasn't like yesterday.  They were pushing tightly in one spot on the side of my foot just behind the affected joint and it hurt like crazy.  I couldn't even walk down the hallway.  Then tried my velcro strap sandals with the opaque socks underneath.  Not much better. The strap went over the same sore spot.  This place on my foot hasn't hurt in the last 3 days.  What's going on now?  Didn't want to just sit at home so I ended up just going barefoot with the fitflops.  They worked fine but my foot was not up to par with yesterday.  If I walked slow, I could almost keep a normal gait but the minute I picked up the pace even just a little, my gait went out of whack.  My husband claimed I wasn't bending my foot when I walked although I was consciously making an effort to.  We did cover almost the whole mall.  And then cruised around Target.  I was hoping I could find some inexpensive moccasins or something enclosed over the toes that I could get my foot into.  They had some nice furry lined moccasins but even stepping up a size, the pain was too bad to slide my foot in.

I'm now home with my foot iced and propped up.  Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.  We're going out to dinner, so it would really be nice to get back into the slide on shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment